Thursday, July 17, 2014

OBSESSED WITH FASHION


If I were to be completely honest about my sinful struggles in the past, I would readily admit that although I used to be a shopaholic, my BIGGEST obsession during that time was my fascination with clothes.  In this category I would also need to include my enthrallment with ALL accessories related to clothing.  The allure of shiny sparkling jewelry, the appeal of large designer purses, and of course we can’t forget all of those cute shoes to perfectly complete all of those outfits.  Looking back now at the infatuation I had with clothes, it almost became like a stimulant for me to get high from shopping.  Even though I always have appreciated a good clearance sale, there was a time when buying clothes at Thrift stores simply would not completely satisfy my needs.  My craving was for the latest and greatest and all of the newest styles and fashion.  It was the infamous mall with all of its sights, smells, lights and wondrous treasures that allured me and even seemed to call out my name when I drove by.  Since I wasn’t at all happy with my inner self at that time, I was driven by the need to feel complete so I tried to fulfill that hunger with my obsession with clothes.

When Richard and I got married, I remember already owning over 20 pair of shoes, upwards of 30 pair of pants, about 40 sweaters in an array of my favorite styles and colors.  My love for clothing started early, way back in grade school when my mom made me a new dress to wear every single day.  The attention I received with each new dress seemed to soothe some sort of craving inside me.  As I’ve gotten reacquainted with some grade school friends through facebook lately, some of them have mentioned how they remember all of the new clothes I wore.  Shopping for clothes at the mall was just what my mom and sisters and I did for fun every week.  It really didn't matter if we NEEDED something or not, shopping for cute outfits was a hobby for us.  As I got ready for college, my most important preparations were to make sure I had enough clothes so that I would not have to wear the same ensemble more than once or twice in a semester.  I would not and could not be seen in the same outfit within a 3 month span of time.  Sad to say that I placed more value and worth in what was in my wardrobe rather than what was going on in my heart.  
Thankfully the story doesn’t end there with my continued obsession with such shallow things.  I am so thankful that several years ago God opened my eyes for my need to humbly confess placing such a high priority on earthly things instead of valuing my relationship with Him.  When my heart changed so drastically, so did my closet.  The walk in closet that I used to have all to myself was once so overstuffed with clothes, jewelry, purses and shoes that I couldn't even shut the door all the way! (wish I had an actual photo, but I was too embarrassed to take one)  After God dealt with me, I went through and discarded many of the items I thought were so necessary to my happiness and have paired down to a more reasonably sized wardrobe as my family will all now attest to. I have also learned the art of putting more inexpensive outfits together by shopping at thrift stores and consignment shops for myself and our whole family.  I'm not too proud to wear used clothes that someone else bought at the mall and decided to get rid of.   I am not at all proclaiming that malls are evil or wrong, in fact my daughters and I are planning a trip with some friends to the Mall of America soon to look for some bargain clothes for them to start college with.  I now realize that buying clothes, shoes, purses or jewelry will never meet my deepest desires.  Buying clothes does not have the power and ability to quench my thirst for something awesome.  I won't ever be able to purchase in a retail store all my soul is longing for.  Don’t get me wrong, I am still obsessed with my wardrobe today, BUT it is a radically different type of clothing altogether. This clothing has great value for eternity, it is priceless beyond measure and it will never ever go out of style.

The kind of clothing God desires for us to be obsessed with is found in Colossians 3: 12-14  “Therefore as God’s chosen people, hold and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.    Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.”
We are told in this passage to clothe ourselves with:  COMPASSION, KINDNESS, HUMILITY, GENTLENESS, PATIENCE, FORGIVENESS and LOVE which binds all of these virtues together in perfect unity.   God wants us to put on LOVE, which like a thread that sews and binds together all of the other virtues.  I am pretty sure these 7 virtues we are to clothe ourselves with need no additional explanation.  We all know the definition of each one of these words and why God desires for us to put emphasis on wearing this specific virtuous wardrobe.

In Colossians 3:13 we see that Jesus Christ is the ultimate example for us in modeling these essential items of clothing.  We are told that once we have clothed ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, forgiveness and love, we will have peace.  Isn’t that what everyone is so desperately searching for in this life? Verse 15 says, “Let the PEACE of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace.  And be THANKFUL. 

I know for a fact that during those many years when I was obsessed with clothing, peace certainly did NOT rule my heart.   I was not at all focused on wearing the Biblical clothing that God tells us about in this passage in Colossians 3.  We must not forget to take heed to obeying the very end of verse 15 that reminds us to be THANKFUL.
I must confess that when I was obsessed with a more worldly wardrobe, I certainly was not a thankful person.  My cravings for the mall and shopping for clothes left me only wanting more and more.   The thrill and excitement was short lived and never seemed to satisfy.  While buying all those cute clothes, I thought I was buying peace and happiness.  Then I discovered that after a few days or weeks, the fulfillment was gone because clothes and material possessions will never have the ability to quench the longings that can only be met by a pure relationship with God Himself.  Popular styles, fabrics, patterns and colors are ever changing with each new season in the fashion world but the Biblical clothing God desires for us to model in our lives will NEVER cease to be in fashion.  Dressing ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, forgiveness, love and thankfulness is the only clothing that can ever fulfill us and allow the peace of Christ to rule in our hearts.

 I also realized that my entire goal in being obsessed with the wrong clothing was to draw attention only to myself and how great I was at putting outfits together; but when we chose to put on the Biblical clothing that Christ models for us, we are then able to shine the spotlight on and honor Jesus Christ.  It is our pride that traps us into craving the approval and compliments from others, when our heart should be in such a humble state that our ONLY desire above ALL else is pointing the glory to our Creator God.  

How about you?  Have you been obsessed with clothing yourself with the wrong wardrobe?  I pray that those of you who read this post will truly search the inner most areas of your heart and weed out anything from your spiritual wardrobe that does not belong there.  Take it from someone who knows how God’s forgiveness can replace the emptiness that once filled your heart with unsurpassing peace and joy that I guarantee you will never be able to find at the mall.   

No comments:

Post a Comment