Friday, March 8, 2013

Faithfully Rescued Once Again


Have you ever gotten yourself into an extremely embarrassing predicament and you weren’t quite sure how you were going to get out of it?  For some reason, these sort of silly but potentially serious situations happen to me quite often.  I believe that God must enjoy using me as an example to others about the reality of human frailty and our need to rely on HIS power to rescue us.  Hopefully I’m learning all of the lessons God has for me along the way.  I pray that I will remain transparent in my inadequacies so that others may see the awesome power of our God to accomplish what sometimes seems to be humanly impossible.

One of these interesting situations occurred several months ago while on our farm.  The day started wonderfully as I looked forward to some special time alone with our youngest son Joshua.  Our three older teens were all at camp for the week and my husband was gone on a business trip out of town.   Joshua and I had exciting plans for our day together, but we first needed to take care of our chores around the farm. We were in charge of feeding all of the animals for the week, which was usually the responsibility of our older kids.  As we went out of the house and shut the door behind us, suddenly I felt a large lump in my throat.  I definitely knew something wasn’t quite right.  Have you ever had that nagging feeling where you just knew without a doubt you had forgotten something but couldn’t recall what it was?  Within seconds of closing the door to the house I realized that the door was indeed locked, and I had NO key! 

 A wave of panic swept over me like you wouldn’t believe!  Have I mentioned that besides the fact that I did NOT have a key, I did NOT have a phone, I did NOT have any money, I did NOT have any food and I did NOT have any makeup! To give you an even more vivid picture of the situation, I was wearing my pajamas and I had not yet combed my hair!  For those of you who really know me, need I say more?  How much more embarrassing could it get?  I’ve learned not to even ask such a question anymore. Trust me, things CAN and HAVE gotten EVEN far more humbling for me at times.  This may explain why my Grandma used to compare some of my nutty escapades with those of Lucille Ball in the “I Love Lucy” episodes from the 1950’s.

In my depair, I then turned to my 8 year old who possesses the reasoning skills of a middle aged man and informed him that we were indeed locked out of the house.  Josh, being a huge fan of the 80’s television show “MacGuyver”, quickly transitioned into creative idea mode as he reviewed all of the episodes in his mind where MacGuyver was able to skillfully open locks with some sort of homemade device.  One such solution involved the breaking of a light bulb, but I quickly dismissed that notion due to the fact that it sounded slightly dangerous.  After realizing that none of the attachments on his pocket utility knife were going to unlock the door, I said, “Josh, let’s pray right now and ask God to help us because He promises in His Word that He will always come to our rescue in times of trouble.”  Although we weren’t sure what God was going to do, after praying we decided to go ahead and proceed in feeding the animals.  As we walked down the long lane of our farm, Josh kept persistently asking how we were going to get back into the house.  I reassured him and myself that even though we didn’t have the answer, God always has a solution and we needed to trust Him and wait for Him to reveal it to us.

Within seconds, God brought to mind what had happened the previous week when I was washing windows in our great room on the second floor.  We were getting ready to have company and I had been cleaning the windows at the highest part of our house.  In the process, one of those windows got stuck and no matter how hard I tried it would not completely close after it was clean.  In my forgetfulness I left it that way and neglected to inform my strong husband that it needed to be fixed.  In my mind, it seemed as if the possibility of being able to climb in the window would be our best solution.  To explore this option, Josh and I went around the house and starred at the window that seemed so far away from the ground where we were standing.  Indeed there was a very tiny opening at the bottom of the window which was great news, but how in the world would we be able to reach it without a very tall ladder?  If we did have a ladder to reach, how would we be able to get up there and get through the small window?  Who would God send to help us accomplish this seemingly impossible task?

As I’ve learned through all of these crazy situations, God is faithful and always has perfect timing!  Just then, one of our two neighbors came out to leave to go to work for the day.  For some divine reason, he had not left as early as usual, and I mustered up enough courage in my embarrassing state of mind and presence to go over and ask him if he could help us.  I explained how we had locked ourselves out, and that my husband and older kids were gone for the week.  I was thankful that he didn’t even seem to bat an eye at my ridiculous appearance and I believe he was already aware of my tendency to be absentminded from previous conversations. Our kind neighbor said he could call a locksmith but that it may take hours for them to arrive and try to open the door.  I then mentioned the incident where I wasn’t able to shut the living room window from the week before.  He asked if we had a ladder tall enough to reach the window but I thought it was locked up in an outbuilding so he drove his truck over to another neighbor to borrow one of their ladders. I found some hedge cutters and quickly began cutting down shrubs and bushes so that we could even get near the side of the house where the window was located.  When he returned with the ladder, we both realized that the only one who could fit up there and crawl through the window would be Joshua.  Josh was scared to climb that high, and I’m also fearful of heights, so our neighbor gently guided Josh up to the top of the ladder by holding onto him and carefully following him.  As soon as they were finally at the top, he helped Josh open the window and slowly crawl inside the house. Although visibly terrified, Josh was SO very excited that even though he was a little boy, he was the one person who could get inside to unlock the door.  He said, “Praise the Lord that I am small enough to fit through the window”.  Those were such joyful, beautiful words for me to hear our young son give God the glory for what He had done.  It also showed his sensitive and thankful heart towards God’s sovereignty and provision in our lives.

Although our uncertain circumstances only lasted less than two hours, it seemed like an eternity. Praise God that the incident was finally over! I was really not interested in hanging outside all day in my pajamas, but if that would’ve been the case, then I believe that God would’ve had a purpose in allowing it to happen.  God orchestrates and works even the littlest details in our lives together for our good and for His glory.  “And we know that God causes ALL things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28) The fact that our neighbor was home to help us at just the right time and that the window would not shut from the week before were evidences of God’s hand at work in fulfilling His promises to take care of us.   It was God who reminded me that the window had not shut completely.  It was God who allowed the whole incident to take place so that we could testify of His power to do what seemed to be humanly impossible to us that day.  Through this situation Joshua was able to see that God uses little kids to accomplish His purposes, which was a huge faith builder for him. 

This was just another chapter in the book of God’s amazing teaching moments in my life.  My desire is to give a transparent picture and encourage others in their relationship with the Lord.  He desires for us to call upon His name in times of trouble and desires for us to trust Him completely.  Too often we attempt to solve our problems in our own strength, and wait for every human resource to be exhausted before even asking God for help.  Our Deliverer wants us to come to him in our desperation and cry out to Him for help, knowing that HE is our ONLY solution, we do not need to fear.  For this reason, we are reminded in Psalm 46:1, “God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.  Therefore, I will NOT fear.”  I pray that the next time you are faced with a situation that seems hopeless or humanly impossible that you will remember this story of how God rescued me and have the faith that He will also deliver you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment