Monday, September 3, 2012

Have You Been Washed In The Fountain?

Songwriter William Cowper was tortured for years by a deep, dark suicidal depression. After years of suffering and anguish, he finally came to the realization that Christ’s shed blood on the cross could wash away ALL of the guilt from our sin.  I John 1:7 says “…and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.”   All we need to do is humble ourselves at the foot of the cross and ask forgiveness from God and He will remove our sin as far as the east is from the west. After crying out to God to forgive his sin, William Cowper was finally freed from all of the guilt and shame he had held onto for far too long. He was no longer plagued by suicidal depression and darkness, but found the joy and peace he had been longing for in his life.  Once he had experienced this new found freedom in Christ, he then sat down and wrote my favorite song:

 “There is a fountain filled with blood, drawn from Emmanuel’s veins; And sinners plunged beneath that flood lose ALL their guilty stains.

 The dying thief rejoiced to see that fountain in his day; And there may I, though vile as he, Wash ALL my sins away.

 Dear dying Lamb, Your precious blood will NEVER lose its power. Till all the ransomed church of God, Be saved to sin no more.

 Ever since, by faith, I saw the stream, Your flowing wounds supply, Redeeming love has been my theme and shall be till I die.

 Then in a nobler, sweeter song, I’ll sing Your power to save, When this poor lisping, stammering tongue, lies silent in the grave.”

I can identify personally with William Cowper because I was plagued by the guilt from my unconfessed sin for many years.  I had been saved since a young age, but rarely dealt with problems and stress in my life Biblically which caused me to suffer needlessly from depression and serious health problems. Since God's law is written on each one of our hearts, each time we sin, we KNOW we are violating God's law. When we violate God's law by sinning and do not confess it right away, we will have guilt.  That guilt causes many horrible problems for us mentally, physically and spiritually.  The ONLY way to get rid of guilt is to confess it! No amount of medication will solve our problem, only mask it and numb it.  We have to solve the problem by eliminating the root, which is guilt! It is imperative that we don't allow the guilt to come through daily confession.   
Even though I had trusted in Christ's blood to save me for eternity, I was not cleansing myself from my sin daily. Praise God I finally realized that Christ's blood was enough to pay for my sins, no matter how great or small.
 
 I John 1:9 says that “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from ALL of our unrighteousness.” Once our sin is truly confessed, and we are forgiven by God and others, then we are able to have the peace and joy that allows us to live the abundant life free from guilt that Christ died to give us.
 
The song “There is A Fountain” has been used by God in a great way to impact thousands of lives over the years and bring many hurting people to the cross of Christ.  What AMAZING things God will accomplish in and through us when we humble ourselves and confess our sin at the foot of the cross!  NOTHING we can do on our own will ever cleanse us from our guilty sin stains. Have you humbled yourself and come to the Fountain filled with blood for cleansing of your sin for salvation? If you are already a Christian, do you humble yourself before God daily through confession of sin and allow the blood of Christ to cleanse you?

No comments:

Post a Comment